Nowadays there are few series links for transporting uncompressed video supporting important resolutions as standard TV 1080p60 :
- 10GigE vision
- Camera Link
Each standard has these advantages and disadvantages :
Little brother of GigE vision, it supports “current” video resolutions. Used mainly in industry , it enables rapid deployment thanks to 10 gigabit network connections that are becoming increasingly standard. Based on UDP, it is robust. However, its complex layout is a disadvantage for avionics use subject to DO254 and DO-178B standards development.Indeed, the video part of the protocol can be uncorrelated part of the exploration and command that can only be managed by the software.
The set of SMPTE standards governs the video format in the TV world. The associated serial protocols allow to be used to deport the video coaxial cable at great distances (100/200m). However, they have the advantage and the disadvantage of being extremely standardized. Thus, the video format is subject to important constraints not allowing any deviation : frequency pixel, frame rate , number of pixels, number of lines, jitter , no possibility to add a new standard … There are dedicated FPGA or IP components to simplify the implementation of this protocol.
Finally, the protocol is based on a 8b10b encoding but offers no protection.
CAMERA LINK OR DVI
The implementation of these two protocols is similar and extremely simple. They support all PC and TV resolution. The disadvantages are mainly related to the offset distance limited to 5m and tolerance of receivers to incomplete video frames in the case of clock domain change.
ARINC 818 has many advantages :
- A raw output of up to 1Gb/s to 8Gb/s for the standard version 1 but up to 24Gb/s for version 2
- The possibility of supporting all the resolutions of the PC and TV market
- Great flexibility in the length of lines and frames (thanks to “Idles” frames) allowing to facilitate the change of domain clock
- A rather easy implementation requiring no software
- A low latency
- A great strength thanks to the implementation of a CRC and a picture at the end of each FC frame